Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Mutual Thanksgiving

2 Corinthians 9:11
You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.


It's the day before Thanksgiving. This is probably my most favorite holiday, because other than the cooking (I know, there's lots of that), there isn't much expectation tied to it. So far, our captialistic society hasn't found a way to cash in on it. Well, I may speak too soon. I heard from our server at one restaurant the other morning that she is thankful to have the day the morning off. That afternoon she will go in to work at her second job at another restaurant. It seems many of the restaurants are open because many people don't want to participate in the time-honored tradition of cooking all day. (Ka-ching) I guess there are few years left before we hear those sentimental words being offered over the television, "Tell her how you are thankful, with a diamond." Oh, how I hope I didn't just plant that seed

I am cautiously optimistic that most Americans will still pause to give thanks before we start stuffing our faces tomorrow. But I propose that we take a moment to hear sentiment of thanks expressed to us too. Over the last few weeks, I have become increasingly convicted that God may be wanting to thanks us. I know that seems foreign to us, but let's stop to think about something. Don't most parents offer their children thanks when they do something special? I think God does that with us too. When we look beyond ourselves and help out those who are in need, I think that pleases God and God thanks us for "getting it," understanding that the world is more than just about us.

So, tomorrow, when you bow you heads and offer the prayer of thanksgiving, insert a brief pause and hear God whisper to you, "Thank you. I love you." Maybe that will inspire us to be even more thankful, know how much God does care.

Godspeed,
Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment