Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Nose Knows

Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. - Galatians 6:7-8

Cindy would probably be laughing right now if she were to read this. She was a girl that I used to pal around with in high school. We were good enough friends that we we could pick on each other. Well, I did the most picking (I could have earned a Master's degree because I was so proficient). But oh, she made it so easy. Once she told me that when she was little, she put a button in her nose and it stayed there for years until one day in school, she sneezed and the button became a projectile, hitting the boy sitting in front of her on the back of the neck. For this, she became known as "Buttons," at least by me.

The passage from scripture posted above popped into my head just a moment ago. Reaping what you sow. I wasn't mocking God, but it reminded me that things that you did early in life comes back to haunt you later. Before your mind starts racing to figure out if I go a button stuck in my nose, well...no. I would have been better if I had.


It's getting close to Easter, so as we were in the store this evening, we bought a small box of traditional Easter candy - Peeps; you know, the yellow marshmallow chicks (or ducks, I don't know; they're made out of marshmallow so the best I can tell is it's some fowl thing). Anyway, I was trying to give my daughter a suggestion about doing something stupid in school. I told her to try to convince her friends that she is eccentric like Ozzy Osbourne, but instead of biting the head off a dove, bite the head off a Peep (she's in high school - it has to be tame but stupid). So, I demonstrated.


Okay, let me caution you here - don't laugh with a Peep in your mouth, especially if it is towards the back of your mouth. Needless to say, I didn't choke on it, but it did find its way into my nasal cavity. Don't underestimate the potency of a Peep my friends; they are volatile confections. Just one small bit of that sugary yellow head burns like Tobasco sauce ( and yes, I know what that's like too - but that is another story). I knew I would be getting a sinus infection from this. Imagine going to the doctor and trying to explain how a 45-year man has a candy chicken head stuck in his nose.

But it wasn't over. Well, without going into graphic detail, if you want to know the next sensation, the next time you have a marshmallow, stick it in a microwave to see what happens. It's not a pleasant feeling, let me attest to that.


Still, I am amazed how a inane and silly antic that I engage in can remind me of some biblical truth. It also scares me. I cringe at the thought of reaping what I sowed toward Bryant (many other stories about that). Have Mercy.


Godspeed,
Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment